Announcement for Members in Wales
Farming Connect are excited to announce a brand new programme, the Welsh Sheep Genetics Programme, which will focus on offering farmers financial and technical support to aid in performance recording and improving genetics within Welsh sheep flocks.
Please note this programme is only open to flocks within Wales who are fully registered with the Farming Connect programme
The programme is available to all members who already performance recorded or are thinking about starting to performance record
The minimum number of Bluefaced Leicester ewes to qualify for the programme is 20
This is a fantastic opportunity for pedigree flocks who are already performance recording, or are interested in starting to record to receive support, advice and guidance from our team of Genetic Officers and experts at Innovis and AHDB-Signet throughout the process.
What will members gain by taking part in the programme?
- Technical and financial support, guidance and training to strengthen Welsh flock performance, improve productivity and increase profitability through improved genetics.
- Expert advice to ensure your sheep make genetic progress to achieve better flock health and improved economic performance.
- Learn how to use EBVs to maximise your flock’s breeding potential, by selecting for key traits relevant to your own flock.
- Create a breeding action plan with clear recommendations on steps you should take to improve the quality of your flock including performance recording and analysis of key data.
- An opportunity to participate in innovative projects, and learn more about: breeding for lower methane emissions, breeding for worm resistance and the routine use of genomic breeding values.
If applicants meet eligibility criteria, and are accepted onto the programme, flocks will receive 100% funding towards Signet costs, and 100% funding towards ultrasound scanning. Participants will also be eligible to receive technical support, guidance and advice throughout the duration of the programme, which will include workshops, clinics, events, meetings and study tours as well as one-to-one support when required.
For full eligibility and to apply, please visit the Farming Connect website.
Online applications open on the 8th May 2023, and close at 12pm on the 9th June 2023.
**Please note, this programme is only open to flocks within Wales who are fully registered with the Farming Connect programme.**